St. George’s Church is the oldest Anglican church in Southeast Asia. Planning for the church began in 1817 and was completed the following year using convict labor during Bannerman’s term as British Governor of Penang. The first marriage at the church took place in 1818 when W. E. Phillips married Janet Bannerman, the daughter of Colonel J. A. Bannerman. The roof of the church was originally flat, but was changed to a pitched roof in 1864. The building was heavily looted during World War II but restored later. On the grounds north of the church is a Greek-style temple dedicated to Francis Light, the British founder of Georgetown.