Nethy Bridge lies in the heart of Strathspey between Aviemore and Grantown in Scotland. Built in 1820, the bridge is a classic Telford design, is in the heart of the village and spans the lower reaches of the River Nethy a mile before it reaches the River Spey, one of Scotland’s foremost salmon rivers. It had to be repaired after the August 1829 Moray (N.E. Scotland) Flood when part of it was washed away.
Originally called Abernethy, Nethy Bridge was renamed when the railways came this far north in the 1860’s. The Great North of Scotland Railway already had a village called Abernethy on its line further south, so renamed this one Nethy Bridge to differentiate the two. The place name Abernethy is still frequently used around here – Abernethy Highland Games, Abernethy Forest etc.